There’s always a certain level of excitement when you know you’re getting something new. Items that once were new, eventually become old and need to be replaced. The carpet in your home is no different. When you first purchase carpet, just like anything else you always think about the enjoyment it will bring. Carpet provides a sense of warmth and comfort; a place to sit, play, and lay, but just like everything else, it has a life span. Carpet color, shape, and pile style all play a major role in when your carpet needs to be replaced.
Here are some signs it’s time to replace your carpet:
- Stains and Discoloring: Drying the spot where a spill happened, blotting, patting, and yes hiding the stain with throw rugs or furniture can only last for so long. Even the best carpets with stain-resistant finishes and treatments fade. If your gorgeous off- white carpet now resembles a playground of paintball and the color is unrecognizable, it’s time to replace the carpet.
- Wear & Tear: The manufacturing of all carpets consists of upper layers of plies attached to a backing. The pile of a carpet is generally made from either wool or fibers such as polypropylene nylon or polyester, and usually consist of twisted tufts which are often heat-treated to maintain their structure. No matter how well a carpet is made, the natural and inevitable fact is that it will eventually show signs of wear and aging. If the major areas of your carpet look matted beneath heavy furniture legs, you can see bulking, or you have rips, tears, or it’s unraveling, the time has come to change your carpet.
- Odors: Ever walk in a room and feel like you have the nose of a hound dog; your nose is immediately aroused by a strong unpleasant scent. Well the harsh truth is it could be your carpet. If you own pets there may be a lingering smell on your carpets. You can clean your carpet but it’s not a guaranteed way to remove the odor. Stains and spills left untreated, or not treated in a timely fashion can cause problems with odors as well. Home repair, plumbing repair, leakages, and flooding are another cause of home odors.
- Allergy Symptoms: Are your eyes watery, your nose or chest significantly more congested even though it’s not allergy season? Your carpet may be to blame. If you clean the carpet, and still no relief, mold or mildew could be hiding in your carpet.
- Age: Nothing is meant to last forever and nothing will last forever. Cheese and wine are the only things I know of that get better with age…carpet not so much. Over time you will notice loss of color/fading. The carpet may become uneven or you hear sound when you walk on it, or it simply may not be as comfortable as it once was. These are signs that you’re carpet needs to be replaced.
If you believe it is time for you to update your carpets, call (252)-726-2737 and let one of Eastman’s friendly associates help you through the process.